Sunday, July 24, 2011

Report Card

She held the paper in her hands,
It was pristine, and smooth, and white,
On it was a tiny symbol,
A letter that brought the night

She glanced at it at first,
With unexpected shock
When the blow sank in and her heart slowed down
The earth began to rock
 
Nothing would be the same now,
She was stripped of her only pride
Crippled by her loss,
She shoved her Savior aside.
 
Letting the demons come to her,
Failure imprinted in her brain
She let them tell her she was nothing,
Her heart filled with disdain

Compared to all the others,
She let them contemplate her value,
But He stepped in before the wrong
And told her, “I still love you.”

The desperation that was crippling her,
The loneliness and anger, too
She told Him all about it,
He said “I have a plan for you.”
 
She wondered how it was fair
When others act the way they do
How can she be pleasing amidst this mess?
And He said, “I will judge, not you.”
 
She didn’t know if she could do it,
She thought she still might fail,
She didn’t want to ruin anymore,
He said, “Child, I always prevail.”

She held the paper in her hands,
The words now wrinkled, wet, and faded,
Jesus pulled her into His arms,
And told her how she will be graded.
 
You know I am your savior,
I’ve forgiven you of it all,
So, now, forgive those others,
And before God, you’ll stand tall.

Work hard and do your best,
But I’ll catch you if you fall
Give Me your burdens and regrets
And answer to My call
 
Love regardless of any circumstance,
And pray passionately at every thought
Express your feelings with great care,
And remember what you’re taught:

The grade is not what pleases Him,
It’s what lies in your heart,
Trust Him to deliver and define you
And He’ll surely declare you smart.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Jenny.... this is so beautiful! I can't stop crying.

I needed to be reminded of some of this today. Thank you.

We earn nothing through our works... it is not what we do, but how we do it, how we live our lives... what is in our hearts... that pleases Him.

Loving others as He loves us... forgiving others as He forgives us... not judging or holding others to a "standard".

We can't earn His love, grace, or mercy through grades or how well we do a job... these things He has already given us.

We should not let others grade or judge us, because they will only hold us back. He already has judged us... His love and grace, His mercy and His plan... are proof of that and are the answer to any question we ever have about ourselves... our worth... how we measure up.

We are imperfect, saved by His perfect love.

Anonymous said...

Aw, thank you! Your comment made me feel really good, I received it at an opportune time and it put me in a good mood. I was totally surprised in a great way! Thank you so much, I'm glad my post you happy (:

Shalamar said...

Brava, Ms. Ritz! Brava!

Mapa said...

Beautifully written. Your faith makes mine stronger. I love you.