Tuesday, January 31, 2012

temptation

The desert, dry and hot
Relentlessly surrounds me.
You tell me to hold on-
And I’ll inherit Your bounty.
I’ve never been so thirsty,
As it holds out the drink,
Glistening and beautiful-
It wills my faith to sink.
I’ve always wanted the water,
But I was content to wait for You.
Now as this offer is made,
I’m not sure what to do.
I know you say it’s poison,
That to drink it would be a waste,
But I’ve gone so far without,
I long to have a taste.
Corruption is funny,
Its orchestrator wise.
It’s always cloaked in wonder,
But then the victim dies.
Subtleties push me toward the water,
Even as you tell me to wait
Can’t You see I’m desperate?
Won’t it be too late?
How do I resist it?
How do I pull Your will from this place?
How do I make myself see You,
Instead of that beautiful face?

No comments: